Group Spiritual Direction CCK Men
Time & Location
About The Event
- Two groups of 3-4 participants including facilitator
- One group for men and another group for female participants
- Participate in 10 meetings in one calendar year
- Meetings are 90 minutes, once a month
- Participate in 1 introductory 3-hour long workshop regarding group spiritual direction
About Spiritual Direction
Spiritual direction can be defined as “help given by one Christian to another which enables that person to pay attention to God’s personal communication to him or her, to respond to this personally communicating God, to grow in intimacy with this God, and to live out the consequences of the relationship.” (From The Practice of Spiritual Direction by William Barry and William Connolly, 1982.)
What does it involve?
- Entering in an intentional and regular relationship that fosters union with God.
- Opening your prayer life and experience of God to another for the sake of shared listening.
- Listening to your life and the desires God has placed in your heart.
- Letting the Spirit set the direction of the conversation.
- Living by what God is saying to you.
- Allowing another set of eyes and ears to help you interpret your experiences and the voice of God.
What will it produce?
- Walking with a companion who can help you hold your soul before God.
- Noticing your experiences of God.
- Attending to and recognizing God’s voice in your life.
- Mending the split between your head and your heart.
- Fostering deeper union with God.
- Growing in prayer.
- Learning to better discern the Holy Spirit’s movements in decisions you make.
- Finding Jesus in the wounds as well as the joys of life.
- Receiving deeper inner-healing.
(Adapted from Spiritual Disciplines Handbook - Practices That Transform Us from Adele Ahlberg Calhoun, 2009.)
Group Spiritual Direction
Three conditions are essential to the life of the group. Members must agree to commit themselves to 1) an honest relationship with God; 2) wholehearted participation in the group process through prayerful listening and response; and 3) opening their spiritual journeys to the consideration of others. (Rose Mary Dougherty. Group Spiritual Direction: Community for Discernment)
Commitment Before Each Monthly Session
- Pray for each person in the group as the Lord leads you.
- Be consistent in whatever practice seems best to reflect and honor your unique relationship with God at this time, perhaps journaling about what you perceive, sense, or want concerning your attention to God and the way God seems to be dealing with you in all facets of your life. It could be helpful to notice things such as:
- - your desire for God, your desire to desire God,
- - the persons and circumstances that seem to draw you to God/connect you to God or to the meaning or the hope for your life,
- - the way you sense God involved in your life, your resistance to God or areas where you shut out God, etc.
- Before coming to the group, spend time in prayer, reflecting on your prayer and your journaling since the last meeting, asking for a sense of what is to be shared. Allow for the possibility that something entirely different may show itself in the actual moment of your sharing.
- Come as early for the group as you wish but be prepared to start on time. Since some people might be using the room for prayer
Adapted from: Rose Mary Dougherty. Group Spiritual Direction: Community for Discernment
20 min - Introduction / presentation / share spiritual journey (20 min)
05 min - Song (5 min)
15 min - State of your soul (15 min)
05 min - Debrief (5 min)
15 min - Break
15 min - Introduction of silence
30 min - Silence
15 min - Introduction of sharing (culture of sharing)
35 min - Sharing
10 min - Prayer
05 min - Debrief
05 min - Prep next session
Total - 175 minutes
Outline Monthly Session
05 min - Intro - reading - song
15 min - Silence
70 min - Sharing and praying in turns
Dates and times (beginning Feb 2020)
- Workshop Women: Friday Feb 7 - 3-6pm
- Workshop Men: Saturday Feb 8 - 9-12pm
- Place for workshop TBD - it will be in the Kingwood / Porter area.
- Monthly meetings women: Tuesdays 5:30am or 6am for 90 minutes (1st Tuesday of the month starting on March 3rd, 2020)
- Monthly meetings men: Tuesdays 5:30am or 6am for 90 minutes (2nd Tuesday of the month starting on March 3rd, 2020)
- Place for monthly meetings Better Days office (1525 Lakeville Dr. Suite 206 Kingwood, TX 77339).
- Gr Spiritual Direction Men$0$00$0